Wednesday, February 2, 2011

About Those Doors.....

New Team Alma Orbea 29r


You have heard it a 1000 times: One door closes and another opens.

I didn’t make the Cyclocross Worlds Team. Bummed, yes, Heartbroken, no. Gonna make myself into a little ball and cry??? Heck no but am I bound and determined to make the team next year? Yes!!! Of course its not going to be easy but I am REAL good about making lemonade outta lemons so here I go again at what I do best!!! I have already scoped out the CX World Cups and have a soft Cyclocross schedule for the fall/winter and I can’t WAIT.

That said, I am going to have to wait. In the meantime though I have been had the privilege of being picked up by a newly formed mountain bike team, Stan’s NoTubes Elite MTB Team. I can’t tell you just how honored I am to ride for Stans NoTubes, Orbea, Sixty-Five.12, Schwalbe, Ergon, Rotor, Genuine Innovations, Sram, CrankBrothers and Verge. Zeal optics even threw in a slew of sunnies at me for on and off the podium.

The Stans NoTubes team will be seen doing the Pro XCT’s, World Cups as well as many races around the USA and globe. See press release HERE.

As for the open doors…..24 Hour racing and stage racing. Say what?! Yep, I am committed. First up will be the challenge of jumping back into 24 hour racing. It has been 8 years since I did a 24 Hour race (24 Hours of Moab) and I am looking forward to checking back into the scene for a weekend. Our team is doing its team launch at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in Tucson, AZ as a team of 4 women. And immediately following (2 days later!) I will be heading to Spain for a mountain bike stage race to race as a 2 person team with Jenny Smith, consistent Xterra and Stage Race podium finisher.

What what what?!!! Yeah tell me about it. These are the wings of change it seems. Or maybe it’s that thing called……..I am actually enjoying riding and racing for the first time in my life to such a degree that I am willing commit to these things now knowing that I am fully in and excited about doing them!!

Oddly enough, if I had made the worlds Cyclocross Team I would not have been in a comfortable position to commit to either of these races. Guess that's where the open door comes into play!Not that it is an extremely comfortable position because I have no idea what to expect from my body and mind for either race!

I am looking forward to what adventure lays ahead. I am also looking forward to learning even more about myself as I master the art (hopefully) of pushing through when you just want to stop and think you can‘t make it or think you can’t even turn another pedal during the mtb stage race. It’s called a challenge and I am looking so forward to it. Bring it on!!!!!

Getting down to St. George to train for the upcoming stage race with Bob Saffell and stage racers extraordinaire, Jen Hanks and Shannan Boffeli.



Ya DON'T want to see this (a helicopter) in the middle of the desert when you are riding.

No comments: