Saturday, May 19, 2007

Intermountain Cup #4 - Soldier Hollow, UT


Ahhhhh. A home race at last. It was only a ten minute drive from our house to Soldier Hollow in Midway, UT where the local MTB race was. Got to love it.

After putting in hard VO2 efforts on both Wed and Friday of this week I really didn’t know what to expect of the ole legs. As for the lungs, I didn’t know what to expect there either because I had only been home for about a week at elevation again after being gone a month at sea level. But things went better than expected I guess. I just did what I could and pulled out of it with a win…….although I didn’t win by much. Monique (Pua) Sawicki showed up to give me a run for my money. She is an elite level endurance racer who specializes in 24 Hours solo races, 12 hour events among others. She even has a 24 Hour National Championship under her belt!! God bless her on all that because after about 4 hours on my bike I am ready for something different!! J

So I had the strangest thing happen during the race as I came up and over this rock. I hit the bottom of my down tube on it and it rattled my water bottle cage TOTALLY loose. What the…..? That was weird.

After the race we had a BBQ and I just have to say…….we have the best friends ever. How many friends do you have that will sit around on your deck and WILLINGLY eat those Harry Potter Jelly Beans that taste like grass, vomit, salt, dirt, pepper, etc? That was great. Thanks for entertaining me everybody!! I was practically crying with laughter watching everyones faces as they chewed.

No comments: